Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What questions should I ask at the dealer when looking for a nissan maxima?

I'm looking at cars to buy and i feel like the best sedan I can afford used is the nissan maxima. When buying a used maxima, what questions should i find the answers to so that I avoid getting ripped off. For instance, are there any expensive parts that need to be replaced at a certain mileage? Also any suggestions for other used sedans ranging from 8-12 thousand would be appreciated.|||stay away from 01-02 maxima's. 03 is pretty much the best maxima ever made in my opinion. From 04 and up they have had a major secondary timing chain issue that can cost up to $1400 to fix. Make sure that this problem has been fixed beforehand. oxygen sensors are also a thing to worry about but not a super expensive issue.|||From my experiences so far with my Maxima, they are mechanically sound but parts can be expensive. For example my starter went out and a remanufactured one cost me $130 with core exchange. My friends brother who can't keep a car maintained drove his 92 over 350,000 miles before having to swap engines. Properly maintained I don't think its unrealistic to be able to go over 400,000 miles in one.|||Dont buy a car from a dealership, you will be ripped off. I would buy it privately and would also check the vehicle first. CARFAX is a ripoff. I always use CHEAPVINSEARCH.COM. They are a relatively new site so not too many people know about them, but I think they are just a reseller of autocheck. But it only costs 9.99 and if you are spending a couple thousand on a car its def worth it. You might to get the car checked out by a mechanic for 200 dollars this could save you a lot of money in the future.|||Maxima's are NOTORIOUS for a handful of issues. Ignition coils go out (just replaced all 6 of mine@ 140k $360 + labor. Part was only $66 each.) you'll know when it needs to change because the car will stumble at idle %26amp; go into fail safe (cuts power) mode. Additionally, your check engine light will flash@ 3k rpm's. Ultimately, the cars are excellent- but they have a track record of blowing sensors (MAF) Mass airflow sensor. Right now I need to change my OBD1 sensor on bank 2 ($250 retail) but less than $100 on ebay. Yes, if you go to the dealer or a retail automotive shop (autozone/pepboys) you will pay through the nose!!!! I get my parts off of Ebay. I bought a new MAF for $80 on ebay- go to the dealer same part is $268. I've also heard that the tensioners or rather dampeners wear out before the timing chain needs to be fixed. Chains are rated, by nissan, for up to 250k. Some people have gotten abused maximas %26amp; have had a bad experience with them, but most of us are Maxima drivers for life, they are fun, very quick little cars. Before I got the turbo installed on mine I used to be able to trail most mustangs (No saleens or shelby's, its not that fast!!) by about 1 1/2 - 2 car lengths. With the boost, they're trailing me now! Again, these are not your top end mustangs- for the record. Most of the frequent issues you can live with. You can do ALOT with these cars in terms of cutomization. %26amp; I know several members of Maxima.org that have well over 350k on some older gen maximas. My only issue with the newer maximas is that you can't get a "true" 5 speed anymore. You may also want to consider 01-03 Acura 3.2 TL (my other car) which is also an excellent choice but parts are a b*tch.

No comments:

Post a Comment